Bonaccorso Alessandro - CV
Family name: Bonaccorso
First name: Alessandro
Date of birth: 14 April 1961
Current Position: Research Director, Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-4770-6006
Scopus Author ID: 56269524400 ResearcherID: H-4778-2011
Publications: >100 publications
h-index: 33 Google Scholar (https://scholar.google.it/citations?user=0npYb_EAAAAJ&hl=it total)
i10-index (Google Scholar): 62; n. citations: 2841 (14 Apr 2020)
h-index: 30 Scopus (https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=56269524400)
- 2009 – now Research Director at Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (INGV)
- 2002 -08 Director of Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia – Osservatorio Etneo (2 mandates)
- 2003 Research Director – Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia
- 2001 Senior Researcher, Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia
- 1994- 2001 Researcher (permanent position), Consiglio Nazionale Ricerche (CNR) at Istituto Internazionale di Vulcanologia (IIV)
- 1992-94 Research contract funded by Gruppo Nazionale per la Vulcanologia (GNV)
- 1989-91 Research grant funded by Consiglio Nazionale Ricerche (CNR), with Fellowship at Department of Earth & Space Sciences, University Los Angeles California (UCLA)
- 1988-89 Research grant funded by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche 1986 Degree in Physics (Department of Physics, University of Catania)
Main research interests and activities
- Physical volcanology, studies of deformation and strain for volcanic and geodynamic areas, deformation modelling of volcanic sources (intermediate storage and intrusion process) for several eruptions, theoretical model of deformation and strain produced by volcano conduits, multi-parametric studies of volcanic processes.
- Geophysics applied to volcanology, Volcano geodesy (EDM, tiltmeter, GPS, strainmeter).
- Monitoring networks managing. Implementation of new technology for the high precision monitoring of ground deformation, design and development of new instrumentation for tilt and strain measurements.
- Eruption management and volcano hazard assessment.
Main national / international scientific programs coordinated
- Supervisor of Research Unit “Deformation” within the Project “Etna” of Istituto Internazionale di Vulcanologia (IIV-CNR), financed by Italian National Group for Volcanology - GNV (1996-98).
- Coordinator of the Research Unit “Deformation” in Program “Surveillance” IIV-CNR (1996-98).
- Supervisor of Research Unit ‘Deformation modelling’ of the project “Modelling of the dynamic process inside Mt. Melbourne (Northern Victoria Land)” (1996-98) financed by Italian PNRA (National Project Research in Antarctica).
- In charge (responsible) of the Research Unit “Design surface strain & validation multiparameter” in Project “Tekvolc” (Technique and Methods Innovation in Geophysical Research, Monitoring and Early Warning at Active Volcanoes) (1996-98) in the 4th Frame ‘Environment & Climate’ programme of the European Commission, contract ENV4-CT96-0251
- In charge of (responsible) IIV-CNR Research Unit in the project “Emews” (European Mobile Early Warning System), in the 4th Frame ‘Environment & Climate’ programme of the European Commission 1998-2000 contract ENV4-CT98-0728. Funding 24.000 ECU
- Supervisor of the Research Unit “Deformation Modelling” in the 2000-02 GNV project “Study and constraints on intermediate storage, magma uprise and conduits through modelling of strain fields, velocity and attenuation tomography at Mt. Etna”.
- Coordinator and supervisor, in the framework of Italian PNRA (National Project Research in Antarctica), of the project “Geophysical and Volcanological Observatory of Mt. Melbourne” (2004-06). Funding 70.000 euro
- Coordinator and scientific director of the geophysical and volcanological activities of the Program “Upgrading and improving of the Seismic and Volcanological Surveillance System in Sicily”, supported by the Institutional Agreement between Civil Protection National Department, Sicilia Region and INGV (2004-2008). Funding 13.756.740 euro
- In charge of the Research Unit “Strainmeters installations at Etna volcano” inside the Italian FIRB project “Development of New Technologies for the Defense and Protection of Territory from Natural Hazards” (2009-2011).
- In charge of the Research Unit “Strainmeters installations at Etna volcano” inside the Italian PON project “Development of research centers for the study of volcanic areas at high risk and their geothermal potential in the context of Mediterranean geological and environmental dynamic” (2013-2014)
- In charge of Operative Unit “Strainmeters” in “TRANsient of StraIn and stress ExperimeNT in Italy – TRANSIENTI”, Premiale project financed by MIUR (Italian Ministry of Research and University), 2017-2018.
- Partecipant EC project "European Volcano Early Warning system (EVE)", Union Civil Protection Mecanism - Call UCPM-2018-PP-AG (Prevention and preparedness in civil protection and marine pollution), 2019-2020
- Responsible WP3 project “SiC optical nano-strain-meters for pico-detection in Geosciences (Sic nano for picoGeo) EC Call: H2020-FETOPEN-2018-2019-2020 (FET-Open – Novel ideas for radically new technologies), approved Giu-2019
Research stages and visits
- 1991 Research grant at University California Los Angeles (UCLA) Department of Earth and Space Sciences, in collaboration and under supervision of Prof. Paul Davis
- 1996, 2002 Research visits at Oxford University, in collaboration with Prof. Paul Davis
- 2016 short-term visiting position at Earthquake Research Institute (ERI), Tokyo University
During winter seasons 1990-91, 1995-96 and 1997-98, respectively, participated at 6th, 11th and 13 th Italian Expeditions in Antarctica in the framework of Italian PNRA (National Project Research in Antarctica) for the implementation and management of the geophysical and volcanic observatory (seismic and tilt networks) of Mt. Melbourne volcano (Northern Victoria Land, Antarctica).
Realization of an international patent of new instrumentation. Title of invention ‘Device for checking and calibrating high precision inclinometric sensors’(1999). Applicant ref. 11c204012W024
- Supervisor of Research Group “Deformation” at IIV-CNR (1996-2000).
- Head of Research Group “Deformation” at INGV - Sezione di Catania (2001-02).
- Director of Istituto Nazionale Geofisica e Vulcanologia – Osservatorio Etneo, 2002-008 (two mandates).
- Scientific supervisor on behalf of INGV and management of the activities related to several eruptions and associated crisis (Etna 2002-03, 2004-5, 2006; Stromboli 2002-03, 2007).
- Participation at several High Risk Commission and Civil Protections meetings during the eruptive crisis on behalf of the INGV (2002-2008).
- INGV consultant for Civil Protection Department during several recent eruptions (2002-2008).
- Member of INGV “Collegio d’Istituto”, the organism which has provided the guidelines for the organization and implementation of the scientific network of the INGV (2002-2008).
- Member of the Control Committee of the Program for extension of the monitoring systems in Sicily as agreement between Sicily Region, Italian Civil Protection Department and INGV (2004-2008).
- Member of Internal Scientific Relations Office (URSI), the INGV Office devoted to supporting the INGV for the scientific programming (2009-2013).
Editorial Boards of International Journals
- Associate Editor of Annals of Geophysics (2009-2013)
Steering Committee and Research Evaluation
- Member of scientific committee for Volcanology Observation Service of Institute National des Sciences de l’Universe (INSU, France) 2011- now
- Member of Evaluation Experts Group for Earth Sciences (GEV 04) of National Agency for the Evaluation of Universities and Research Institute (VQR 2004-2010) 2011-2013
- Member of Evaluation Experts Group for Earth Sciences (GEV 04) of National Agency for the Evaluation of Universities and Research Institute (VQR 2011-2014) 2015-now
Other relevant scientific activities
- Editor of the “Mt. Etna: Volcano Laboratory” Monograph of American Geophysical Union (2004).
- Teacher in University Masters on volcano risk management.
- Scientific supervisor and author of the scientific film “The perfect Eruption – Etna 2002-03” produced by INGV and RAI-Italian Television, that received national/international prize and awards.
- 2009-today collaboration with Department Terrestrial Magnetism of the Carnegie Institution (Washington) for the realization of the first borehole dilatometer network at Etna.
- 2014, National Scientific Qualification (ASN) to Professor level I (Idoneità Abilitazione Scientifica Nazionale (ASN) a Professore I^ fascia) sector 04/A4 Geophysics (ref. Notice 2012, DD n.222 / 2012, valid from 07/02/2014 to 07/02/2020).
- Award issued by ‘Ministry of the Russian Federation for Civil Defence Emergencies and Elimination of Consequences of Natural Disasters’ (EMERCOM of Russia) for operations during the Etna 2002-03 eruption.
- Several awards and prizes as scientific supervisor and author of the scientific film “The perfect Eruption – Etna 2002-03” produced by INGV and RAI-Italian Television (e.g. special award at ‘International documentary film Festival – Sondrio 2008’ as the best scientific documentary on protected areas; award for the scientific content at DocScient 2009 – Rome)
First 10 most cited papers (Google Scholar, 18 Jun 2019)
- Patane, D; De Gori, P; Chiarabba, C, Bonaccorso A., Magma ascent and the pressurization of Mount Etna's volcanic system, Science, 2003, DOI: 10.1126/science.1080653 - Times Cited: 178
- Bonaccorso, A. et al. Dynamics of the December 2002 flank failure and tsunami at Stromboli volcano inferred by volcanological and geophysical observations, Geophys. Res. Lett, 2003, DOI:10.1029/2003GL017702 , Times Cited: 159
- Bonforte, A., Bonaccorso, A. et al., Feeding system and magma storage beneath Mt. Etna as revealed by recent inflation/deflation cycles, Geophys.Res.Lett., 2007, DOI: 10.1029/2007JB005334, Times Cited: 115
- Bonaccorso, A. e t al., Dike emplacement forerunning the Etna July 2001 eruption modeled through continuous tilt and GPS data, Geophys. Res. Lett, DOI: 10.1029/2001GL014397, Times Cited: 114
- Bonaccorso A., et al., The initial phases of the 2008-2009 Mount Etna eruption: A multidisciplinary approach for hazard assessment, J. Geophys. Res., DOI: 10.1029/2010JB007906, Times Cited: 85
- Bonaccorso, A. et al., Composite ground deformation pattern forerunning the 2004-2005 Mount Etna eruption, Geophys. Res. Lett, 2006, DOI: 10.1029/2005JB004206, Times Cited: 83
- Bonaccorso, A;. et al., Fast deformation processes and eruptive activity at Mount Etna (Italy), J. Geophys. Res., 1996, DOI: 10.1029/96JB01151, Times Cited: 72
- Bonaccorso, A., Dynamic inversion of ground deformation data for modelling volcanic sources (Etna 1991-93), Geophys. Res. Lett., 1996, DOI: 10.1029/96GL00418, Times Cited: 68
- Bonaccorso, A;. et al., Analytical and 3-D numerical modelling of Mt. Etna (Italy) volcano inflation Geophys. J. Int., 2005, DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-246X.2005.02777.x, Times Cited: 69
- Aloisi, M.; Bonaccorso, A.; Gambino, S , Imaging composite dike propagation (Etna, 2002 case), J. Geophys. Res., 2006, DOI: 10.1029/2005JB003908, Times Cited: 58
10 selected recent papers (2012 - 2018)
Bonaccorso A, Calvari S, Linde A, Sacks S., Boschi E., Dynamics of the shallow plumbing system investigated from borehole strainmeters and cameras during the 15 March 2007 Vulcanian paroxysm at Stromboli volcano, Earth Planetary Science Letters, 357-358, 249-256, doi: 10.1016,j.epsl.2012.09.009, 2012
Bonaccorso A., Currenti G., Del Negro C., Interaction of volcano-tectonic fault with recharging storage, intrusion and flank instability: a thirty years study at Mt. Etna volcano, J. Volc.. Geoth. Res., doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2012.06.002, 2013-05-23, 2013
Bonaccorso, A.; Currenti, G.; Linde, A., Sacks S., New data from borehole strainmeters to infer lava fountain sources (Etna 2011-2012), Geophysical Research Letters,40-14,3579-3584, DOI:10.1002/grl.50692, 2013.
Alparone S., Bonaccorso A., Bonforte A., Currenti G., Long-term stress-strain analysis of volcano flank instability: the eastern sector of Etna from 1980 to 2012, Journal Geophysical Research, 118, 1-11, doi: 10.1002/jgrb.50364, 2013
Bonaccorso A. and Calvari S., Major effusive eruptions and recent lava fountains : balance between expected and erupted magma volumes at Etna volcano, Geophysical Res. Letters, 40, 1-5, doi: 1002/2013GL058291, 2013
Bonaccorso A., S. Calvari, A. Linde, and S. Sacks. Eruptive processes leading to the most explosive lava fountain at Etna volcano: The 23 November 2013 episode, Geophys. Res., Lett., 41, doi:10.1002/2014GL060623, 2014
Bonaccorso A., Bonforte A., Gambino S., Twenty-five years continuous borehole tilt and vertical displacement data at Mt. Etna: insights on long-term volcanic dynamics, Geophys. Res. Lett., 2015
Bonaccorso A., Linde A., Currenti G., Sacks S., Sicali A., The borehole dilatometers network of Mt. Etna : a powerful tool to detect and infer volcano dynamics, Journal Geophys. Res. S.E., 121, 2016, doi:10.1002/2016JB012914.2016
Bonaccorso A., Y. Aoki, E. Rivalta, Dike propagation energy balance from deformation modeling and seismic release, Geophys. Res. Lett. 2017, 44, doi:10.1002/2017GL074008.
Bonaccorso A., Calvari S., : A new approach to investigate an eruptive paroxysmal sequence using camera and strainmeter networks: lessons from the 3-5 December 2015 activity at Etna volcano, Earth Plan. Sc. Letters, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2017.07.020